The system works by using clear, almost invisible aligners that are changed every one or two weeks. Each aligner gradually moves your teeth into the ideal position. By your last aligner, your teeth will have moved into the ideal orthodontic position as pre-designed by both you your dentist.
Clear aligners offer a several benefits in comparison to traditional braces including:
- Aesthetics : because the aligners are nearly invisible, people are less likely to notice that you are straightening your teeth
- Eat what you want : with traditional braces there are certain foods you should avoid to prevent damage to the brackets and wires. However, with clear aligners, your aligners can be removed before eating so you can easily eat all the foods you enjoy
- Hygiene : unlike traditional braces which require additional hygiene considerations, clear aligners can be removed and teeth can be brushed and flossed as per usual
- Comfort : no getting your tongue or soft tissue caught on hard brackets and wires. The aligners are made of a smooth moulded plastic material which causes minimal interference in your mouth
While clear aligners are an excellent orthodontic option for many patients, there are potential drawbacks to the treatment including:
- Extra responsibility : during your treatment, it is up to you to ensure that you follow the treatment course as given by your dentist. The results are dependent on being disciplined to wear your aligners with strict adherence to the plan
- Inconvenience when eating : your aligners must be removed each time you eat. This can be seen as an inconvenience to some people if they eat several times a day.
- Difficulty speaking : some patients find it difficult adjusting to having the aligners in their mouth which may cause a mild lisp during speech. This varies for each patient and most often passes in time as you get used to your aligners over the course of your treatment.
Contact our friendly staff at Evergreen Dental Care to make an appointment and see if Invisalign treatment is right for you.